Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Weekend Update

I am a little behind. I have pictures from last weekend and was going to do a post, but I guess I lost track of time. So here is an update from last weekend.

Friday, I went into work for about two and a half hours and then we left and went to Devou Park in Northern Kentucky for a departmental picnic. I had to make Apple Salsa to take and share and everyone loved it. The weather was great - not too hot and not too cool and sunny! There was a cornhole tournament among co-workers and I opted out of this. Instead, I walked to an overlook to see the Cincinnati side of the Ohio River. I got a couple of nice pictures.

We had to stay at the park until 3, but then I was able to go straight home and take a nap before the evening activities.

I met my aunt Carol and cousin Meghan near the Fairfield football stadium to watch the Homecoming Parade. My niece Claire was in the parade and I was excited to see her. So I met Carol and Meghan and we settled in for the parade. Then, we found out that the young kids were walking a couple of blocks and then being held up at a different school down the street and they were not walking the entire parade. Typical Fairfield schools - no one knows the whole story and things are not done logically. The kids still had to walk from the other school to where we were because the parents were told to park close to the football stadium. Just odd.

Nikki 'dressed' the kids up in red - they had red hair paint. I got a picture of this.

On Saturday, my sorority met at the Newport Peace Bell to work at the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Walk to cure diabetes. We handed out t-shirts. Nothing exciting.

Since I was in Kentucky already and had planned to drive to Lawrenceburg, Indiana to pick up my winnings from the Shop Hop, I stopped at one of the other stores that I went to with the Shop Hop. I picked up some fabric and a book of paper piecing animal items. It's very cute! Then, I drove over to Indiana and tried to go to the shop. There was a festival going on and rides and games set up everywhere. Unfortunately, the shop was closed due to the festival and I was not able to get my basket and will have to drive all of the way over there AGAIN! I am going to try and go this Saturday after walking in the Memory Walk for the Alzheimer's Association.

Saturday evening, the sorority and I worked at the Light the Night Walk for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. It has always been a very moving experience for me - every walker gets a balloon that lights up. A red balloon is for a supporter and a white balloon is for someone who has had cancer. Once the sun sets, the walk starts and the walkers turn on the balloons. Depending on where the walk is, all you can see is red or white lights moving along the route.

This year, we took registrations and I had a young woman and her husband come up to give me their money. She was registered online and had a lot of online donations - $2,050 - and said that there would be more donations to come because people were coming to meet them and walk with them. Then, her dad and step-mom showed up and her dad gave her a $100 check to add to her total and asked about writing another check to register her wife. I said that he didn't have to and the one check would take care of everything and he kept insisting so I said, "If you want to write another check, that works, too." He wrote out the check as I was giving the woman her tickets for her t-shirts and balloons and it turned out that she was a survivor. At that point, her dad gives her the check he just wrote. For $1,000! She was very moved and tried to tell him that he didn't need to and it was too much and he said that he would do what he could because he was happy that she was there with him. She started crying and I was very moved and welled up, too. And the dad just grinned and kept winking at me. It was very moving and sweet!

Sunday, I didn't do a thing. I went to the grocery store and then watched TiVo all day. And took a nap. I didn't do any sewing or cutting until about 8 PM. :( I felt guilty about not doing anything, but I needed to relax a bit after the drive back from Myrtle Beach and feeling so run down all week. I am feeling much better now and think it had a lot to do with a relaxing (or lazy - he he) Sunday. I got some cutting done on the fabric for my class that started on Tuesday.

Monday was our Guild meeting. We have a little update and then Show and Tell where members bring in their projects - UFOs or finished - and show them off. It's pretty neat and inspiring to see what everyone else is working on or finishing. That took a little longer than usual. Then, one of the members brought pictures of her trip to Africa and making mudcloth. She talked FOREVER. I stayed and looked at the pictures for 45 minutes and ended up leaving at 9. The description of the program was a little misleading because I thought we were going to learn more about the mudcloth, but all she did was talk about the trip and barely touched on the mudcloth. I had to get home to finish cutting the fabric for my class and to let the dogs out.

Last night (Tuesday) was the first class in the Wagon Wheels that I signed up for. It had been a while since taking a class and it was nice to be around the other quilters and to learn a new technique. We learned magic corners. And this would be a good quilt to make crib size blankets for Project Linus although there are a lot of pieces in each block. I will get a picture posted of the pieces that we sewed on later tonight.

Yesterday was also weigh in and I am at 28.4 pounds lost. But at the meeting, they only showed a .4 loss from last week. It's a little disappointing to know that the weight they have isn't as accurate as what I am showing at home. Of course, at home, I haven't eaten anything when I weigh in at home. I am still going to go by the numbers from my scale.

Have a great day!


Jen said...

Wow, have you been busy!!! That story about the dad and daughter was so touching.

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

You've been one very busy girl no wonder you've been tired. You do so many good things for others you should be extremely proud of yourself. I can't wait to see the pictures of what you made.

Michelle said...

Slow down, girl! It does sound like you had a lot of fun though! Cindy is right, you do a lot of good things for others. God is keeping track, and has LOTS of marks on the wall for your good deeds, and HE is proud. 11111 11111 11111 11111 11111 11111 11111 11111 11111 11111

Rose Marie said...

You do get around quite a lot, don't you! I'm looking forward to the day when there will be all red balloons and no white ones and the mystery of cancer can be solved. My BIL is a cancer researcher and he has dedicated his life on the mystery. One day .....

I have wanted to reply to you many times when you leave a comment on my blog, but you have a 'no-reply' address for your email. You had a thought about using paper box lids from work. I've used them and they work OK but are not as sturdy for stacking once you get the lids loaded up with lots of fabric, etc., but they will do. Show us your organized space once you are through with it.