Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Retreat - Saturday

Saturday morning, Jeanette, Maureen, Patrice, Dominique, Cathy and I had plans to meet for breakfast at the restaurant. I didn't sleep too well Friday night and I thought that it would be a little early for me, but I made it and the breakfast bar really hit the spot! After breakfast, it was back to the YBR. I was able to get the remainder of the blocks completed relatively quickly and Cathy helped me lay them out.


I started sewing the rows together and took a short break to take some pictures of what everyone else was doing.

Here’s Cathy working on a Split Decision top.


Here’s Maureen working on some Thangles.


Here I am working on my YBR top.


Here are Jeanette’s, Dominique’s and Patrice’s workstations.

100_1096 100_1099 100_1098

That’s right. Empty as usual. Patrice was visiting some local vendors that had set up tables in the Lodge. Jeanette and Dominique took a group out to a couple of other local quilt shops right after breakfast. Friday afternoon, Dom had laid out a top from leftover blocks and she and Jeanette agonized over the placement. In fact, it was still laying on the floor when Cathy and I laid out the YBR. Once I knew that they were leaving, my goal was to have the YBR top finished before they got back. I must say, the goal was accomplished! Once I sewed the last of the borders on, Cathy, Patrice and I went to lunch.


After lunch, when the shoppers returned, Jeanette showed a spool of green variegated thread that she picked up. I said that it would look wonderful with me top and Jeanette tossed it to me. Woo hoo!!! I can’t wait to get this quilted to see how it’s going to turn out! Oh, and I also got the binding cut, sewn and ironed and packed away with the top so that it is ready to be attached. Go me!!


Once I packed up the YBR, I was ready to work on something that didn’t have deadlines! I had 4 projects left and decided on finishing up the blocks for my Thangles Milky Way that is from a class that I took from Best Friends. I had all of the stars finished; I just needed to assemble the small stars together into large blocks. Then, I asked Jeanette to help me lay them out because she has a very good eye for color and placement. After about 30 minutes, this is what we came up with.


I labeled the blocks and thought about putting them aside because of the size of them, but I decided that I would try and sew a few blocks together and see how they ended up looking. The first 3 looked great so I kept sewing. We broke for an eventful dinner that left me feeling very queasy after finding an unwelcome visitor on my plate. Needless to say, that meal was free. We headed back to the sewing room.

While I kept sewing on the star blocks, Patrice finished sewing some strips together for a quilt that she bought on Friday. She was very pleased with herself! The fabrics look great together, too!


I got the star blocks assembled and started attaching the borders before we decided to call it a night. For the 3rd night in a row, Cathy and I were one of the last, if not the last, in our sewing room to call it a night. After such a productive day, it was time to rest.


Moneik said...

Your YBR looks great! You got so much accomplished. Sounds like you had a lot of friends around and had a great time.

Gina said...

Love the fabrics in the YBR

love and hugs Gina xxx

Regina said...

Love the YBR - the green border looks great with it!

Somehow I don't want to know the "unwelcome visitor" story!

The stars are "stellar!!" - love it!