Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Floating a quilt top

Last night, I loaded my SIS quilt on the frame. I decided to take pictures of the process for those who don't know what it means to float a quilt top.

I also timed myself to see how much quicker it was to use this method of loading the quilt. I started the time from when I measured the batting to cut it from the roll.

I am using an extra wide backing that I picked up from Joann's. I tore the cut edges to have very straight edges to pin to my leaders. I also decided to load the quilt sideways onto the machine so that I will have to roll the quilt less times than if it was loaded top to bottom.

Here is the backing all pinned to the leaders and rolled up on the rollers.

100_2999

After I cut the batting, I threw it in the dryer which just so happens to be in the basement with the frame. :) I let the batting tumble in the dryer while I prepped the backing. I just laid the batting on the backing and lined up the 2 edges. The other end of the batting just hangs, or floats, off the edge of the frame.

100_3000

The last step was laying the quilt top onto the batting and lining up the edges. Again, the remainder of the top floats off the edge of the frame.

100_3001

In all, it took me about 35-40 minutes to get the quilt all set up to start quilting. And that included taking a phone call from my mom.

Leaves me more time to hang with the pups! They are thrilled! :)

100_3004

12 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Thanks for the info. I love your quilt - greens are my favorite! And, of course, always enjoy pics of the pups.

Regina said...

Looks great -convenient having the dryer right there!!!

Three Birds Inspired said...

I am a HUGE fan of floating quilt tops! I went from 45 to 50 minutes to load down to anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes. On a really good day I can load, quilt and have a twin sized quilt off in less than two hours. (Of course, that means I am just meandering or doing loopy loops or something really quick and easy!) Never thought about bouncing out batting wrinkles in the dryer - great idea!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

cool. I've never seen this process before.

elizabeth said...

GUILT LOOKS GREAT JILL, LOVE THE INFO ON THE BATTING. LIKE THE INFO ON LOADING QUILTS EVEN THOUGH I DONT HAVE A QUILTING MACHINE. TO ME IT LOOKS LIKE THE PUP ARE SAYING OH NO SHE CAUGHT US DOING SOMETHING WRONG

swooze said...

Why are their little ears down?? They look scared.

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Looks great!! I missed my pictures for the design wall maybe because its not up on the wall its drapped over the couch. Yesterday was a sit and stich day but I will try to get some pictures up some time this week.

Cheryl Willis said...

I perfer to load mine sideways. Don't know that I understand the floating thing. cw

Jennifer said...

Love floating and how much faster it makes things go!

Michelle said...

Thanks Jill. I'm saving this post in case I ever get a quilt on the frame and decide to try it. The pictures helped me understand it better. I am a visual learner, which is why I work in a factory and don't have a desk job! LOL!

Jamie W said...

This is the method I use to load quilts. Sometimes once I run my basting across, I'll roll the quilt top onto the bar, just depends on the size/weight of the quilt top.


Ummm, I'm wondering...... why do you put your batting in the dryer first?

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

More pup time is always good! I can't wait to see SIS completed. Then you can send it to me and I'll bind it. No promises that I'd send it back though.