Saturday, August 6, 2011

Book review - catching up

I'm doing my best to catch up on my reviews. The books that I have read are all starting to run together so I need to get my reviews done. lol

Another Thing to Fall is the next installment in Laura Lippman’s Tess Monaghan series. In this book, after getting almost run over by a boat while rowing on the river, Tess is hired as a security guard for a young actress on the set of a miniseries being filmed in Baltimore. Once she is in the job, the actress proceeds to drug Tess which leads Tess to find out the real reason she was hired – the show’s writer thinks that the actress is sabotaging the filming.

This may not have been the best in the series, but I enjoyed the story. We get to see Whitney, Tess’s college roommate, again and there is a smattering of new characters including a student of Tess’s from the local community college where she is teaching a class on being a private detective.

Missing Persons by Clare O’Donohue is the first book in the Kate Conway series. The other books that I have read by O’Donohue have been the Someday Quilts mysteries and up until I got this book from the library, I thought this was the next installment for that series.

Kate Conway is a television producer of TV shows along the lines of Dateline and just got a new show called Missing Persons. She also just learned that Frank, her estranged husband, died suddenly of an apparent heart attack at 38. The autopsy reveals that Frank had a drug overdose and Kate becomes the main suspect while Frank’s girlfriend tries to become Kate’s new BFF so that they can support each other in the loss of Frank. As Kate throws herself into the new TV show, strange things begin happening around her house and she becomes determined to solve Franks’s murder.

This was a very good read and I was a little disappointed that it was over so quickly. While I was a little thrown with a new set of characters from a familiar author, I grew to like Kate and her co-workers and I really can’t wait for the next book in this series!


2 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks Jill. You've just added a new author to my list in Clare O'Donohue. I'm picking up her first book tomorrow.

I was not enthusiastic about The Last Place. It was slow going for me, even as an audio book. The previous Tess books were better as I remember. But that won't stop me from continuing with the series.

Thanks for the reviews. Keep 'em coming.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

I need to make a list when you do your book reviews. Adding Clare O'Donohue's quilt mystery series to my library list.