Thursday, January 5, 2012

Book Review Thursday - 1/5/12

Two finishes this week! Woot!



The Wedding Quilt is the newest novel in the Elm Creek Quilt series by Jennifer Chiaverini. It takes place 25 years after the books that were written in the current period. If you have read any of this series, you know that the author jumps around in time which can be a little confusing if you are trying to keep things in chronological order in your head. And some things are revealed in a current book about events that haven't been written about. It's a little odd. In this book, we learn what has happened, in a broad sense, since Sarah gave birth to the twins.

The books opens with Sarah giving a speech in Union Hall about Agnes who has passed away but Sarah is also in the midst of planning her daughter Caroline's wedding. And what better way to bring all the characters back to Elm Creek than with a wedding? But we follow Sarah through the final preparations and we follow her thoughts as she remembers how Elm Creek Quilts came to be.

I'm not a big fan of the way that Chiaverini jumps around in time with her books. But they are easy to read and I know the characters, so it is usually a very quick read. I don't care for the narrator in the audio versions so I read them 'manually.' ;) Usually, I don't really mind the jumping in time, but I didn't really care for the way that I was 'caught up on' the lives of everyone from previous books. It was just odd. So this was not one of my favorite installments in this series.

I also finished 10th Anniversary by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. This is the 10th book in the Women's Murder Club series. Lindsay finally marries Joe. When she gets back to work after her honeymoon, she catches a case that seems to be a baby snatching, but the 15 year old mother needs to be schooled on telling the truth. Yuki is prosecuting a 'make or break' case that could kill her career or clinch a promotion. Cindy investigates a potential serial rapist. And with no bodies, Claire just hangs out.

Not the best in the series. Not a bad installment though. Some twists were a little expected.

So there you have ... two meh books. I hope that the next ones are better for me! :)

1 comment:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Funny. I DO like the narrator on the audio books so I would rather listen to the Elm Creek series than read them. I haven't done either for this last one. While I don't mind the jumping around, this one isn't sitting well with me. Sarah is pregnant and then BOOM! One of the twins is getting married. I'll get it on CD once the library can get it for me. Thanks for the honest review!