Saturday, February 15, 2020

Book Review - Wedding Cake Crumble and The Sisters

Two installments in good series! The Cupcake Bakery Mystery series by Jenn McKinlay is a great cozy series and the Cormac Reilly series by Dervla McTiernan is a great mystery series set in Ireland. The narrator is great with the Irish lilt!

Wedding Cake Crumble (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #10)Wedding Cake Crumble by Jenn McKinlay
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am almost caught up with this series! Woot!

Angie and Mel are doing some last minute wedding errands the week before Angie and Tate's wedding when they come across a dead body - the wedding photographer. Then, Angie learns that the limo driver was found dead the night before and it seems like someone is sabotaging the wedding. To keep Angie's mind off of wedding nervousness, they take a job making cupcakes for a gossip book written by a former resident of a ritzy local neighborhood. Will the wedding happen? Will it go off without a hitch?

I am enjoying this series and I hope it continues beyond the next two books that I need to read to catch up. It's a typical cozy mystery, but the situations in most of the books are pretty amusing. The characters are developed with each addition to the series and it's always nice to see where McKinlay takes them in each book.

It's a great series for people who like the cozies. I enjoy cozies in between some of my heavy mystery/thrillers - almost like a palette cleanser, if you will.


View all my reviews

The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #0.5)The Sisters by Dervla  McTiernan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Sisters is a prequel of sorts in the Cormac Reilly series by Dervla McTiernan. Carrie Ryan is a detective in the series, but in The Sisters, she is working her way up in the police force and she is rooming with her sister, Aifric, who is a barrister and trying to make a place for herself in her position. Aifric gets assigned to a murder case where it seems that there is very little evidence and no one working for the defendant.

This was a very short, 3 hour Audible novella. I wish it was longer. But it was enough to tide me over until the new novel is released later this year. McTiernan writes a very good story, in my opinion!


View all my reviews

No comments: