Sunday, March 8, 2020

Review - Mr. Nobody, Destroyer Angel

I am getting behind on my reviews again. Too much going on at home with decluttering and cleaning. :)

Mr. NobodyMr. Nobody by Catherine Steadman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A man shows up on a beach with amnesia. There is a word written on his hand, but any identifying marks or tags have been removed from him and his clothes. Is it part of a sinister plot. Neuropsychiatrist Dr. Emma Lewis is requested to evaluate the man from the beach who is called Mr. Nobody in the papers, but Matthew in the hospital. He hasn't spoken in the week since he was found, but he has demonstrated a knowledge of self defense. Emma is excited to be asked to lead the evaluation, but then is leery when she learns she has to return to her childhood home that her family fled from all those years ago.

And then the first word that Matthew says is Emma's old name.

The story is told from several points of view - Emma's, the nurse taking care of Matthew, and then eventually Matthew. I think that this seems to work to build the suspense. There is a lot of references to Emma's old life before the big reveal of what happened. There isn't a big mystery to solve except for Matthew's story. And possibly Emma's origin story.

I did enjoy the book and am looking forward to reading Something in the Water that I missed last year.


View all my reviews


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
In seeing some of the reviews, it seems like it is a mix of people who enjoy the series and those who just don't. I personally have enjoyed the series and hope that there are more to come. I enjoy a strong female main character and learning more about the parks in the United States. And I don't mind the turn to the dark that Barr has taken. It could help that I listen to the audio and listen to them sped up so I am not as stuck on the minutiae that someone reading the hard copy might be doing. I prefer being able to multi-task.

Anna is on a canoeing trip in Minnesota with her friend Heath who is a paraplegic and was first in the book with the cult. Heath adopted a girl from that book, Elizabeth, and Leah and her daughter have joined the trip. Leah is an inventor and the group is helping with testing products for the outdoors for paraplegics. On the second night, Anna takes a canoe out by herself for some alone time and a group of 4 men take the remaining four hostage. Anna is able to stay out of sight and follows the group for the next days as they make their way to a rendezvous point. But the men are bumbling idiots and get themselves lost.

The story is told in multiple points of view which I think is a newer thing for Barr, but it has been a long time since I read the first books in the series. We hear from Anna, Heath, and at least one of the men and the chapters overlap so it's nice to hear how and why things are being done from all the POVs. Even though Anna is not with the group, the women are able to give her clues and leave things to help her out as she follows behind. The relationships between the men start to break down and that helps things as well. I do like how each of the women have their own personalities which are all different from each other and affects how they react to situations. Of course, there are some things that happen that require the reader to suspend belief and the biggest is the cell phones in the middle of no where still having a signal and charges.

Again, I enjoy this series! I hope it continues!


No comments: