Friday, May 1, 2020

Reviews - The Sun Down Motel, Blood of an Englishman, and Dishing the Dirt

Still catching up. These were read the end of February, beginning on March. The Sun Down Motel is a supernatural thriller. The MC Beaton books are in the Agatha Raisin series and are cozy mysteries.

The Sun Down MotelThe Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

1982 in Fell, PA - Viv Delaney was on her way to NYC when she ran out of money. She stopped to try and earn some money and ended up staying and working at the Sun Down Motel, the dive motel, on the outskirts of town for 3 months. Then she disappeared.

Current day, Viv's niece decides to take a break from school after her mother has died of cancer never knowing what happened to Viv and never talking about it. Carly has decided to drive the same route that Viv did when she ran away from home. She ends up visiting the motel and working there as well. As Carly investigates where Viv worked and lived, she ends up renting a room in the same building where Viv lived all those years ago.

I have enjoyed the previous novels by Simone St James and was excited to read another one set in current day US instead of post war England. The setting does not change the creepiness or ghost factor of St. James' novels!

This book tell Viv's and Carly's stories in dual story lines and jumps back and forth in time from chapter to chapter. The stories unravel very seamlessly. The anticipation of the ghosts and the ghostly happenings was fantastic! The build up was phenomenal! The reveal was shocking!

If you enjoy a bit of the supernatural, I highly recommend this book and any of St. James' books.


View all my reviews

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Agatha is at a play with Mrs. Bloxby, the vicar's wife, and one of the actors is murdered before the last act. Mrs. Bloxby asks Agatha to investigate. Another small town with all of the drama and gossip. Agatha, Simon, Tony, Sir Charles, et al investigate and Agatha stumbles across the motive and murderer.

I love this series! As with any series, events can get formulaic, but to me, Agatha Raisin is flawed and intuitive and passionate and I thoroughly enjoy every book.


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Agatha is still stumped on a previous case and trying to prove someone's guilt even though the police think the person is innocent. She finds out that the person has been seeing a therapist, Jill Davent who just moved to Carsely and has been romancing James Lacey, Agatha's ex. Agatha takes a chance and goes to see Jill herself as a patient and determines that she is a fraud and tells anyone who will listen. Agatha then finds out that Jill had hired a private detective to investigate Agatha and Agatha threatens Jill's life. Two days later, Jill is dead. And Agatha is in trouble. Again.

I love this series. I love Agatha. I love her flaws. I love the stories. I enjoy the antics and how they are not the same over and over in ever book - except for Agatha falling in love so easily and her make up. The books make me laugh and are a great break from real life and the very heavy suspense thrillers that I enjoy as well. Long live Agatha!


No comments: