Friday, June 26, 2020

This is How I Lied

Heather Gudenkauf is one of my favorite authors in the last couple of years. I have not read anything by her that I didn't love! This one was fantastic as well.

This Is How I LiedThis Is How I Lied by Heather Gudenkauf
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Eve Knox was found in the Ransom Caves in Grotto, Iowa in December 1995. Her murder was never solved. When a new piece of evidence is turned in to the police in 2020, Detective Maggie O'Keefe is put in charge of reinvestigating the cold case. It's only fitting since Maggie was Eve's best friend and found Eve's body and Maggie's father was the police chief in 1995.

This novel is told in dueling time lines and from 3 points of view - Maggie's, Eve's, and Eve's little sister Nola. This method is very effective in this novel to build the suspense of both the murder investigation and the actual murder. It seemed like every time we went back to Eve and 1995, there was a new possible killer.

The way the story unfolds is similar to a slow burn and there are enough twists to keep second guessing how things are going, but not too many to make it seem comical or cliched. I wish that there was a bit more to the very end as it felt a bit flat and rushed to me.

I really enjoy the suspense and build ups in Heather Gudenkauf's books. I have never been disappointed by any of her books that I have read.


View all my reviews

No comments: