Wednesday, March 19, 2008

One Craptastic Morning...

If you don't live in the Cincinnati area, I am sure that you are aware of the band of rain that is stretching across the Midwest. Well, lucky for me, we have had a steady rain since at least Tuesday morning, but it probably started sometime overnight on Monday night.

Do you see where this is headed?

I have a lot of water in the basement. It covers Maisy's paws in parts. The carpet remnants from Mom and Dad's house are soaked. The carpet on the floor at the bottom of the stairs is soaked. I stepped off the last step and all I heard was SQUISH, SQUISH, SQUISH, UGH!! (The ugh was from me in case you couldn't tell.)

I am lucky in a few aspects. I don't have a lot of important things on the floor so nothing of any value got wet. Or really, nothing that can't be washed well and still be usable. I did have to start laundry because there were 2 small pile of clothes that got wet and the dog blankets also got wet.

There is standing water under the stairs and the drain is on the other side of the basement. It is slowly trickling across the basement to the drain. Well, anything that is not getting sucked into the carpets, that is. There is water from the front of the condo all the way to the back. What a mess! And for those inquiring minds, I do not have a sump pump to help.

In other news, I went to my sister's house last night and saw the kids. I got a couple of pictures of the boys with their new rooms. Ethan has pneumonia and refuses to take his meds, but he was feeling a little better. He just leaned on me most of the time that I was there.

And one last piece of business....George is aware of this blog and has read bits and pieces. I think that is all that needs to be said...

OK, I need to go to change the laundry and then get to work!

8 comments:

CatQuilter said...

This weather just plain SUCKS! The ONLY reason we don't have water in the house is that we don't have a basement. But, there is a leak in the roof in Andrea's bathroom. God did promise never to destroy the world by water again, didn't he?

E-mail me sometime soon! Leaving Saturday for our holiday in England.

Hugs,
Cathy

Jen said...

Oh no!!! That's awful. Get a Shop Vac that is wet & dry and suck the water up & dispose of it in your stationary tubs (I'm hoping you have those?) When I was a kid our basement flooded...A LOT.

Hi George!

Moneik said...

Oh that really sucks! I've had that happen before and I know it really is a lot of work and a huge mess. Good luck cleaning up.

Regina said...

Ugh - my basement is wet, too, but it is a 1929 house and we expect that, so everything is in plastic tubs and there is no carpet.

Hope things dry up for you soon - I hate this part of Spring!!!

Amelia said...

Oh Jill, what a dreadful problem! May the sunshine come out and dry up everything.

Amelia ~ in Oklahoma

Hazel said...

Thats really to bad ,watch for mold ,maybe your home insurance would cover the clean up .Good luck let us know how you make out .We're still getting snow here .

Anonymous said...

Jill,
Sorry to hear about your flooding problems. I don't think you lived in this area in 1979, but Pleasant Run Creek flooded all of Banker Dr., Crystal Dr., Sandy Ln. and the shopping center on Pleasant Ave. by the B.P.
I lived on Sandy Ln and had several inches of water in the basement. The house next door had an outside basement door that burst open and the entire basement was flooded up to the ceiling.
If you have renter's insurance it may cover the clean up.
Glad to hear that George reads your blog. Hi, George. Welcome to the quilting community. Treat my friend Jill nice and you will discover an entire world of people who will applaud and care for you.
Karen in Quilting Chaos

Deb (vtquilter) said...

Hi George! Sorry to hear about all the water in the basement..glad George was able to help you out!