Wednesday, December 31, 2008

It's time!

It’s has been a few months since the Quilting Survivor Challenge of 2008. Some time has passed so all the players could return to their sewing corners and pat themselves on the back or lick their wounds and regroup to try again.

After numerous hours of discussing the options of another challenge, Jen and I finally came up with an idea of a challenge for January 2009. Once we settled on the idea, the real fun began. We had to identify all of the different types of work a quilter would do. We then had to rate the work based on our idea of level of skill needed and the difficulty of the work or task. There were many more hours of discussing and debating the tasks and values. We laughed. We cried. We yelled. I’ll admit it … there was probably some name calling. I mean, Jen’s husband Mike just wouldn’t stay out of our way! *Giggle*

Without further adieu, I bring to you, my fellow quilters, my loyal readers, my peeps….

waq

It is going to be a great way to start off the New Year on the right machine quilting foot!

Here is the premise – whatever you do that is quilting related will get a point value. For example, get 9 points for making a 9 patch block, but lose 10 points if you buy fabric that you don’t use during the month. Total your points for the month and see how you rate against the other quilters.

Now, Jen and I are competing between the 2 of us. But you can join in our fun!
  • Use our point values and play along to see how you rate against me or Jen.
  • Find a quilting buddy and challenge her to a competition.
  • Cheer me on in my quest to beat Jen once and for all!

The competition begins at 5:00 PM on 12/31/2008 and runs until midnight on 1/31/2009.

We still have a couple of things to discuss for bonus point items and any rules that we feel we should impose on everyone playing along, but we should have the file available tomorrow for anyone interested to start tracking their points. Just keep track of what you are doing tonight and tomorrow if you are lucky enough to be able to sew.

Now, Jen is getting a head start on me because she has been off of work since noon. I gotta get to Bubba, my machine, and get to work! :)

*Edited to add - here is the link to the file with our points values and the spreadsheets to track our progress.

3 comments:

Regina said...

OOh - I missed this yesterday - maybe because you posted it AFTER the official start time???

I am in - will see if Regina One Eye is game for a challenge... or I will just challenge ME.

Maureen said...

I can't wait. We talked about it while Jen was racking up the points and I decided that I would play along for fun...well and to get rid of the 60 UFO's I currently have...okay I finished 5 so I only have 55 UFO's.

Thanks for the great idea!

Sherry said...

Was this only a 1 month challenge? I've sent a request for permission to access the spreadsheet since I just found your blog.

If the challenge is over (since the end date is listed as 1/31/09 I'm too late to play, but it would be fun to see how many points I could rack up on my own.

Have a wonderful day.