Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cutting, Cutting, Cutting!!

My stash report is going to look gooo-ooood this week!!! Not only have I been cutting the pieces for the Super Secret Quilt, but I got all of the applique pieces pressed onto fabric and took them with me on Thanksgiving to start cutting them out while we were all chatting and gabbing.

My granma is a sewer and makes most of the window treatments for everyone in the family. Back in the day, she was a seamstress, too. I remember when I was growing up and we would go to Granma and Granpa's house where they raised their 8 kids and it was a huge house. The basement was mostly finished and Granpa's office was down there and Granma had her own large sewing area with her machine always set up and a wall full of thread and bobbins. Now that she is in a condo, she had to economize and just has her machine in a small table in the corner of her bedroom, but she still hems pants and makes window treatments. After I moved into my condo, we made this window treatment for my kitchen.

100_3353

When I started quilting, the first quilt that I finished was for a Christmas present for my sister's family and I was working on the binding on Christmas Eve at Granma's house. She offered to help me with the binding and as I was reaching into my bag to get her a needle, she was out of her seat and down the hall to get her own needle!

Remembering all of this, I took my extra pair of Gingher scissors with me to her house on the off chance that someone would want to help me cut out the applique pieces. She did and we worked diligently between food prep and eating. We got all of the oranges and greens and some  and blacks cut out before our hands gave out. When I got home, I was able to get the rest of the purples done and a few more of the blacks.

100_3351

Now, I only have the blacks to cut out and they are the shoes and just a bit fussy. I switched to my small pair of Ginghers and that helped a lot. Progress is being made!

100_3352

So, yes, my stash report is going to look good tomorrow! :)

14 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

that is going to look terrific! Good thing you had some help!

Judy D in WA said...

I love your Granma story. Makes me miss my Gramma. You are so lucky to have her help you. :) Good job getting so many pieces cut. Can't wait to see the stash report.

Libby said...

I love Granma's that sew! I bet that she enjoyed "sewing" with you too!

Jamie W said...

I love reading other people's stories about their Grandmothers. My Great-Grandmother and Grandmother raised me and Great-Granny was a sewer. She did all hers by hand though. I have many fond memories or her teaching me how to sew or helping me with home-Ec projects for school. She has been gone for almost 15 years now, but it seems like yesterday, I was sitting besides her on her bed either sewing, trying to crochet (she taught me that too) or she was brushing my hair. I miss her dearly!!

Michelle said...

What wonderful memories, bot past and present. Sounds like you had a wonderful day!

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

Yowza, look at all those pieces! Can't wait to see your stash report tomorrow.

elizabeth said...

WOW JILL THAT IS A LOT DONE ALREADY. IT IS NICE TO HAVE SOMEONE TO HELP YOU WITH THAT CUTTING. I BET YOU MADE HER DAY BY LETTING HER HELP YOU. I DON'T REMEBER SEEING MY GRANDMOTHER SEW, SHE WAS A HAND QUILTER AND HAD THE SMALLEST EVEN STITCHES. SHE HAD AN OLD TREADLE SEWING MACHINE SITTING IN ONE OF HER BEDROOMS. BOY YOU BROUGHT BACK MEMORIES. HAPPY QUILTING

Ted and Donna said...

God bless Grandma. You are so lucky to have her here and to join you in your shared passion. I know she enjoys it more than she'll ever be able to relay to you. Take it from one Grandma about another.

Kristie said...

Such sweet memories of your grandmother. I'm sure enjoyed helping you cut those out just as much as you enjoyed her help. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.
Kristie

Winona said...

Jill, I love your grandma story. Both of my grandma's were crocheters and embroiderers. They are both gone now, but every time I do one of these crafts, I think of them. Glad your grandma could help you out.

Jennifer said...

Great progress and so lucky to share some sewing memories with your grandma.

Amy said...

OMGoodness! All the power to you....I think I have safely put the "applique-badge" on my vest and will gladly put it behind me now! THAT is a LOT of pieces!!! Looking forward to your numbers tomorrow! :0)

QuiltSue said...

That's a lot of cutting, but I bet you enjoyed doing it with your grandmother.

scraphappy said...

What great memories you will have of that quilt for having worked on it with your Granma. I learned to crochet and embroider from my own Grandma and still think about her whenever I sit down to do either of those. The quilt is going to be adorable by the way, such fun colors!