Sunday, April 10, 2011

Book Review - Baltimore Blues

I really enjoy reading series books. I like that the author can take the time to really develop the main characters over several books. There is a website that I visit that has taken the mystery writers and lists their books in order of publication dates. When I found the Stop! You're Killing Me site it was like an answer to prayers. There is no more searching to find the order of books in a series because all I have to do is find the author's page and the books are listed in order. Score!!

I found this author by way of a stamping community. Someone was looking for new authors to read and Laura Lippman was mentioned a few times so I added her to my list of authors to try out. In March, I finally got around to Baltimore Blues that is the first in the series.

Tess Monaghan is an out of work reporter in Baltimore who has spent the last couple of years doing odd jobs and trying to figure out what she wants to do with her life since getting laid off. Her engaged rowing buddy, Darryl, is growing suspicious of his fiance and asks Tess to follow her around for a few days to see if she is having an affair. More than happy to break the monotony, Tess agrees and follows the fiance. When Tess feels like she knows that the fiance is having an affair with her co-worker, she confronts the fiance and the situation quickly turns sour. The fiance runs back to Darryl with a few made up stories and the co-worker winds up dead with Darryl accused of murder. Tess then sets out to prove Darryl's innocence.

Having been in the newspaper business and part of a family with a history in Baltimore, Tess has access to several resources to help her gather information. She also shows a bit of ingenuity when trying to learn information that could be helpful to the case. Thinking back on the book, she seems like an untrained Kinsey Milhone from Sue Grafton's series. And I really enjoy Sue Grafton's series!

I'm very excited to keep reading about Tess's adventures. I have already downloaded the next several books in the series from Audible!

3 comments:

Ted and Donna said...

I love your book reviews. I'm just reading Book 6 of the Clan of the Cave Bear series and still waiting for the next book of Outlander. Can't wait to start in on your suggestions.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm glad you liked this one. I have it on my Nook to read.

Brita said...

Thanks for the link for book lists. I listen to audiobooks on my Zune while quilting, the only way I can get anything read! I love mysteries, so I'm going to look for this series.