Saturday, April 9, 2011

Book Review - The Sleeping Beauty Proposal

Not every book I read needs to be a mystery! I really love chick lit as well. Although, the reason I found Sarah Strohmeyer was because she wrote a Bubbles mystery series that I loved! Since writing book 6 in the Bubbles series, she has moved on and written several stand alone novels. I actually read her 3 latest ones since the beginning of the year because I got a little behind.


In The Sleeping Beauty Proposal, Genie is a 36 year old woman who has been dating a colleague for several years. When Hugh's book is published and tops the best seller charts, he is sent on a publicity tour that includes a talk show. It's on one of these talk shows that he proposes to his 'special someone' while Genie is watching from home. When the show comes back from a break, he is on the phone with his new fiancee as they have just announced that she accepted the proposal... Only it's not Genie on the phone. When Genie finally gets through to Hugh, he tells her that he's in love with someone else and they are going to Europe to continue the book tour and he hopes that Genie understands. Genie begins to receive congratulatory phone calls about her "big news" from friends and family and her best friend suggests that she just "keep the break up a secret" and let Hugh be the one to break it to everyone that he is a slime bag. Trouble is that lies like this tend to lead to bigger things happening like Genie's mother and sister planning a huge wedding for the end of the summer when Hugh is supposed to return from Europe.

As the deceit keeps piling up, hilarious situations ensue! The characters are fun and quirky. Genie's best friend makes up a fiance of her own so she isn't left out and drags Genie along on some of her schemes like buying themselves fake engagement rings. And with Genie being 36, she is certainly feeling the pressure from her family and society to be married and is happy to have a few months off from that pressure. Although she has to deal with her secret coming out, the fact that her mother has thrown herself into planning a fantastic wedding and emails from the absent 'fiance' urging her to explain the real situation to avoid the embarrassment.

This is one book that I would highly recommend!

2 comments:

Libby said...

Hmmm..I'm not a huge fan of Chick-Lit but this sounds really good! I may have to check it out. Now, you have got me interested in the Bubble series. Are they really good?

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

I LOVE her "Bubbles" series!!! I need to find more of them on audio. Thanks for this review. I'm adding it to my list.