Thursday, April 25, 2013

Book Review Thursday - 4/25

I am back on track with my reading for the year. I have 4 books to review, but I will only do two a week. The problem is going to be remembering the great parts of the books so I might have to start writing ahead. :)

Revenge of the Spellmans is the third book in the Spellman series by Lisa Lutz. Izzy is dealing with court ordered therapy and it's something that is hard for her as an private investigator who is not used to sharing any personal information with anyone. While avoiding answering questions, she begins investigating her brother's strange behavior, why her car keeps moving on her and a pity investigation for a friend at the bar. And she is fighting her family on rejoining the family business.

I really enjoy this series and the way that the books are set up. They are quirky and funny and the characters are humorous as well. While Izzy's own love life is usually lacking, she meets people who she sets up with her family and friends that the relationships usually work out for a time. And Henry, the object of her true affections, reminds me of Lassiter from Psych with his OCD tendencies. I will definitely be reading the next book to see if they happen to get together.

Breath of Snow and Ashes is the 6th book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I listened to the Audible version of this book and it didn't disappoint. The Fraser clan continue to live on Fraser's Ridge in the back country of North Carolina and they are getting closer to the American Revolution. Jamie is walking a thin line between allegiance to the Throne and allegiance to the American rebels.

Life on the Ridge is not much different than in previous books. Brianna keeps trying to bring modern comforts without raising any suspicions. Claire discovers a way to make ether and brings more suspicions of witch craft to herself. And Jamie continues to rescue her when she gets into trouble.

This one of the better books in the series. There was a fair amount of political talk, but it was not overwhelming as I felt it was in the second book. I have one more book to read in the series before the next one is released, but since there isn't a release date, I am doing OK. If you haven't read the Outlander series, you don't know what you are missing!!

No comments: