Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Review - The Push

 Wow, I feel like such a slacker! I have been reading a ton, but just not getting to the reviews very fast. This is another one from NetGalley and the book was released in November 2020.


*Thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the free copy for my honest review.*


Someone dies at a party for an ante natal group - was it an accident or was it murder?  And the reader doesn't find out who died until halfway through the book. Talk about suspense! But this is almost the only piece of suspense in the novel.


Throughout the novel, the reader follows the 6 couples from the baby group and each couple is a cliche in some way: older woman with much younger man whose pregnancy is a surprise; a newly married couple in an arranged marriage who are still trying to get to know each other; very young couple who might be in an abusive situation; a pair of lesbians pregnant from an anonymous sperm donor; a wealthy couple; and a couple planning to adopt.


Much of the novel is through the eyes of the detective who is also struggling with infertility so getting to investigate all of the new parents is a bit much for her in some ways. We also see things from the point of view of the older woman with her younger boyfriend.


While I quite enjoyed the story, it almost felt like there were a lot of stereotypes brought into play and it wasn't all necessary. I thought that keeping the identity of the person who died a secret for so long was a great way to build suspense. There were some clues early on that I caught and I was able to figure out a few plot lines before the end, but I didn't guess the big twist until the end.


Overall, an enjoyable novel for me and I look forward to reading more from McGowan.

No comments: