Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Lessons in Chemistry

What a sometimes heartwarming and maddening novel all at the same time. All I can say is thank goodness I wasn't born in this age where I would have been stuck as a homemaker. 

I feel like I am very late to the party with finishing this book, but it was worth it. Elizabeth Zott is a scientist in the US in the 1950s and struggling with the misconception that women should be in the home and only in the home. What an incredible story that was told with plain speak matter of factness and not preachy at all. It simply and concisely explained the societal expectations surrounding men and women in the 1950s.

I will be watching the Apple+ series soon, but I am sure that it will not live up to the book as most movies and books based on best sellers do not. But I will watch just to see the live action Mad Zott. And six thirty, the dog.

Write more, Bonnie Garmus! Five stars!

No comments: