Sunday, June 22, 2008

April and May's UFO Challenge

I was able to get the last part of the bindings sewn onto the rest of the placemats and the table runner which was the April UFO Challenge project. Now, I will be able to work on hand stitching the binding down on those. That will be nice to have those pieces ready for the July Quilt Survivor Challenge with Jen and Moneik.

Once I got those done, I figured that I should pull something else out and start working on it and the next logical UFO was the Wagon Wheels quilt that was the May UFO for the challenge and something that I haven't touched since just before the accident in October.

I spent some time with the pieces and the design wall and laid out the blocks. Since this is a scrappy quilt, I tried my best to keep like pieces from touching and to keep each block from having too many of the same dark pieces in it. I think that I did a pretty good job.

100_0569

Then, while I was on the phone with Mary Beth, I worked on sewing more units together - the top and bottom rows and the 2 side units - so that it would be easier to assemble the full blocks. This is with the rest of the units stitched together.

100_0570

I couldn't help but look at the design wall for quite a while last night before I headed to bed. I love the look of this scrappy quilt and it was just amazing to me that I was able to get as much done yesterday as I did. So I couldn't help myself but to sew one block together. It took about 15 minutes with the ironing and starching (gotta love Best Press!) and stitching.

100_0572

I think that it look s really sharp! And I can't wait to get the rest of the blocks together and then to sew the sashing and blocks together. Then, it will be ready for Lenny and Squiggy!!

Man, my monthly accomplishments are going to be outstanding this month!

11 comments:

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

I love the colours in those blocks...striking.

Gina said...

I love how the quilt is coming together.

love and hugs xxx

Kristie said...

I love it! I have that pattern but just haven't gotten to it yet! I just love scrap quilts.
Kristie

Deb A said...

Great job on the scrappy quilt. It is coming out looking so nice!

dot said...

This is really nice. I like it. I might have to try something like this.

Moneik said...

The scrappy quilt looks great! Just don't over do it this month or you'll be slow next month... oh maybe I should say get a ton done this month and then take some time to rest next month.

Freeblady said...

Lovely! Could you please tell me your secret on how you did scrappy?! I have the hardest time creating the scrappy look. I'm too symmetrical.

Michelle said...

It looks wonderful, Jill! I love it!

Bethany said...

WOW. Love the pattern and the colors! That will make a beautiful quilt and I can't wait to see it done.

Happy Camper Quilts said...

I love this block. What's the name of this block? Simply stunning!! I enjoyed your quilt show photos and how cool that you were able to meet Eleanor B.!! Nice to see a photo of little Maisy. Have you made her a quilt yet??

Jen said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that wagon wheels quilt. Do they have the pattern written so you could do it with yardage or just scraps? I'd love to make one.