Thursday, January 12, 2012

Book Review Thursday - 1/12

I only managed to finish one book this week. I don't think that I did much of anything last weekend other than watch TV. Oh well.

Heaven is High is the latest book in the Barbara Holloway series by Kate Wilhelm. I'm sad that I am all caught up, but this will give me a chance to catch up on other series that I enjoy.

When I started this book, I thought it was a little odd because it didn't seem to follow the last book in the series Cold Case. And it didn't seem like a flash back either. The story fits in the series after Death Qualified which was the first in the series. This book did answer a few questions and you learn how Barbara met Martin and Binnie who own the restaurant where Barbara holds office hours to help the people in the lower income neighborhood.

Binnie is being pursued by US Immigration for being an illegal citizen. She escaped from Haiti where she had been a captive of a pirate since birth and she stowed away on the ship that Martin was a passenger on. Her mother had given Binnie a note that she wore that gave her history as being a native of Belize, but without a birth certificate and any proof of nationalization, the US is going to deport Binnie back to Haiti and back into captivity.

In an effort to prevent the deportation from happening, Barbara throws herself into the case and flies to Belize to find Binnie's family. And she meets some interesting characters there while trying to get all the information that she needs.

The Barbara in this book was definitely the one in mourning after the death of her fiance in the first book. It was interesting to get back to some action, danger and intrigue after the last book I finished. I enjoyed the change of scenery with Barbara's trip out of the country. And Frank didn't make much of an appearance. It was quite a change from the last books where the pair have worked so closely on the cases. If you are starting the series, read this one second and then go back to the order. It will make more sense.

1 comment:

thea said...

I'm definitely going to have to figure out a way to keep track of all the books you read. You make them sound so appealing. I guess I need a reading list.