Thursday, June 7, 2012

Book Review Thursday - 6/7

Last week, I teased that I had found a new to me author that I was enjoying. I finished one book on the way up to Regina's and finished the second book on the way back from Regina's. And I have the third in the series waiting on me at the library since I couldn't find an unabridged version anywhere. The series is by Linda Fairstein and I have since learned that she was a prosecutor in the Sex Crimes division in New York City for 30 years. It seems that the main character in the series is also an ADA in the Sex Crimes division in NYC and takes after Linda in many ways.

In Final Jeopardy, Alexandra Cooper was just notified that the actress who has been using her vacation home on Martha's Vineyard has been murdered. Due to the nature of the crime, the body was identified as Alex's and released to the press. Until the murderer and motive are identified, there is confusion about whether the target was the actress or Alex herself.

There are some great characters introduced in this novel - several detectives, the DA, various office personnel, and, of course, Alex. The DA tells Alex not to play detective, but of course her and Mike work closely to try and solve the case.

After watching years of Law & Order and all of the spin offs, I think that most people have a good idea of how a precinct operates and this book really showed how things work from the ADA's office. When I was reading the novel, I felt like the description of the goings on in the DA's office was very authentic and when I found out the author was a former prosecutor in NYC, I thought, "well, that explains it!"

As soon as I finished Final Jeopardy, I started Likely to Die which is the second novel in the series. Likely to die is explained as a term that police use when they find a victim who is still alive, but not likely to live. Gemma Dogan, a female doctor, was attacked in a NYC hospital and left for dead. She passed away after being found and without being able to give an account of what happened. Det. Mike Chapman has requested Alex Cooper as the ADA to work the case with him.

Gosh, I am not sure what all to say about what happens in the book so that I don't give anything away. I really like the writing and the stories. And it's nice to read a book where there is a personal life information thrown in instead of it being all about 1 aspect of a character's life.

I really enjoyed both of these books and can't wait to read the next one. It's been a while since I have been absorbed into a book like I was with these 2. I hope the rest of the series is as good!

2 comments:

thea said...

How do you find time to do all this reading .. I finished the second Laura Lippman book that I took out, "I'd know you anywhere". Enjoyed it .. though it kind of got to me, the way Criminal Minds gets to me sometimes. Thanks for the great reviews and the introduction of new authors.

Jean(ie) said...

...another author to put on the list.
:-)