Saturday, January 14, 2017

Cooking and Meal Delivery

One of the things that has been in the back of my mind for a month or so has been getting my dinners and lunches under control and being smarter about taking lunches and just having healthier options. Being single, I feel like it is hard for me to cook for myself and have a good variety of things to eat. Plus, I have never been very adventurous and have been making and eating the same food. Meal after meal. It gets old!

At Christmas, one of my aunts was talking about how she and my uncle signed up for Home Chef, a meal service, and have been using it since October. She pulled out her binder with all of the recipes that they have gotten and I looked through it and almost everything looked good and like things that I know I would eat or at least be willing to try.

So she sent me the link and I signed up! I got my first kit January 4.

And I COOKED! I actually COOKED real food. Good food! In my house. By myself!

(I'm a little proud of myself, can you tell?)


Ricotta and Mozzarella Tart with Arugula salad - I added craisins and left off the sauteed onions. This was the third meal I had made and, well, I was just a little sick of onions. Also, the grape tomatoes are blistered in the recipe, but I just cut them in half.


Pork Mostarda (a sweet mustard sauce, for those not in the know. I wasn't before I picked the recipe) with roasted sweet potato and Brussel sprouts. And news flash - I can eat Brussel sprouts!


And a Steak and Blue Cheese Salad - with homemade croutons and toasted walnuts and caramelized onions on the steak. I left off the blue cheese and added craisins to the salad. I also learned the caramelized onions are not horrible. SHOCKER!! But I don't care for raw or under cooked onions.

I had never made a steak before and that meal was fantastic! And I love pork chops, but I haven't done those at home. Ever.

And they are meals for 2 so I am taking care of some lunches with this, as well. Win-win!

2 comments:

Beth said...

wtg! I am by myself 3-5 days a week, so I struggle sometimes to cook for myself too. I DO cook for DH when he is home, so leftovers are ALWAYS welcome around here! I am proud of you! See? another New Year's goal. YUM!

Jennifer said...

That tart looks delicious, as does the steak! We are headed to a friend's house for dinner tonight, which ranks up with my favorite kind of cooking- that done by someone else! 😀