Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Another goal accomplished!

A couple of weeks ago, I set up some July goals for myself. I didn't publish them because I wanted to see how monthly goals would work out for me. Apparently, it's working pretty well! At the top of my list was the 2008 BOM quilt that I got assembled on Sunday. The next thing was to quilt my Milky Way quilt. I had loaded this quilt onto the machine on July 3rd and it has sat like that ever since. Until Monday night. I prepped the machine, wound bobbins and loaded thread. Last night, I worked for a bit and gave up after about 2 and a half hours.

I had decided that I wanted this quilt to have some special quilting on it. While the all over designs that I have been doing are nice, they are sort of Plain Jane compared to the awesome quilting that is done at the shop that I see every time I am there. And since this is one of my favorite quilts, I decided that it should have something a little more special. I thought that the l's and e's would be perfect in the outer piano key border and just a wavy line for the inner border. And of course loops and stars for the center of the quilt.

I had some helpers. Well, Maisy watches patiently...

100_1856

... Max hides upstairs because he doesn't like the clicking that is made when advancing the quilt. But when the machine stops, he runs downstairs expectantly...

100_1859

... as if to say, "Oh, good! You're done! Can you sit down now so you can hold me?" His tail was also wagging incessantly. I guess I should have done a video. :-

So after 2 evenings of quilting and a lot of pinning, unpinning and repinning, I finished the quilt!

100_1860

100_1862

100_1861

100_1857

100_1858

I probably should have done a wavy, loopy line for the inner border, but by the time I realized that it could look better, I had a whole row of the wavy line done and I was just NOT going to rip anything else out unnecessarily!

It would definitely not win any awards, but at least I have ventured out of the Over-All-Pattern box. And it will keep me and my dogs warm. I think it looks awesome! And it is definitely something that I know I can do again! :)

9 comments:

Becca Quilts said...

It looks great. I'll give you the Midnight Award for having this finished AND posted by midnight of the same day :-D.

Gina said...

I love it.

I do a monthly goals list aswell and so far it's been working out for me. I break it down into 'what I'm working on this week' and I seem to fly through my sewing.

Love and hugs Gina xxxx

Regina said...

I think it looks GREAT!!!

Jodi Nelson said...

Just discovered your blog. LOVE this quilt. It's fabulous!

Jennifer said...

It looks so nice - way to jump right out of the box! I think Max approves too ; )

South Jersey Quilter said...

The quilt looks great, and I love your little helpers! They are just too adorable!

Ted and Donna said...

Aewsome job, Jill. It's good "your family" all do their part to help you out. Love, D

Carlapatch said...

Wonderful, colors are so beautiful-you are an artist!!

Quilter Kathy said...

It's wonderful! Congratulations on trying new designs!
The colours in your quilt are so pretty!