Tuesday, May 25, 2010

2010 Quilt Goals Revisted - Post 6

I’m doing a series of posts (1, 2, 3, 4 and 5) on my progress so far on my 2010 Quilting Goals.

Goal 10 – Knit 1 pair of socks

While it may have taken me an excruciating amount of time and energy, I have successfully completed this Goal! And I am halfway to the finish line of completing it again! But the Goal is only for one pair and anything else is a bonus.

Goal 11 – Knit 12 baby caps

To date, I have finished 3 baby caps. I started the 4th on Sunday. I got a pattern from one of my hospitals that they like their knitters to use and because I am dumping them off on delivering the caps to a co-worker to deliver to the hospital, I figured that I could at least try using their pattern. It is the same basic pattern that I was using before, but it’s using thicker yarn and it yields a cap quite a bit larger than one for a NICU baby. The other big difference is that the needles that I have to make the larger size are plastic needles and I have discovered that the plastic needles don’t play as well with one another as the bamboo needles do. I think that I may need to upgrade my needles in this size…

In order to meet this Goal, I must make at least 1 baby cap a month. At this time, I believe that it is too soon to tell if this Goal will be met by 12/31.

Goal 12 – Finish bear cross stitch

I know that I started this cross stitch within the last 8 years because I did not have it until after I moved into my current residence. I am just as certain that I have not worked on this for a prolonged period of time in the last 3 or 4 years. I know that my road block is the back stitching. Generally, the back stitching is my favorite part of cross stitch because it just makes the piece come together. It gives the piece the definition that it was lacking throughout the process of creating the x’s with the multitude of thread colors. For this piece, the back stitching showed itself to be a formidable enemy!! Instead of just making stitches that were over one hole and up one hole, I found myself trying to figure out where the stitch should end! Should it be down 10 holes and over 1? Or down 20 and over 19? What a mess!!

100_2656

I wonder if I could find someone to finish it up for me….. Any takers? ;)

If I made an effort with it, I could probably finish it in a week if I worked on it in the evenings. It also makes me wonder what I should do with the rest of my cross stitch kits that I have. There are only so many finished wall hangings that you can having hanging in your house…

The pups say...

100_2670 "We slept under this new blankie last night!!!"

Doesn't it look great on the bed?

5 comments:

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

Yikes, those are some lofty goals...you better get knitting and cross-stitching! If only there were more hours in the day. Your cross stitch is cute, but I won't be finishing it for you. I've got several here as well. One being a baby blanket for my niece, who will be 17 this year! Ooops!

Deanna said...

I have sort of given up on cross-stitch, too. It might warm the heart, but not much of anything else and requires too much attention span. Quilting has taken over. But, that said, the bear is Soooo close. Just bite the bullet and finish. The other kits would make good presents.

Anonymous said...

As much as I enjoyed cross stitching, I too gave it up when I realized that I had just so much wall space. Quilts are so much more practical and easier on my "mature" eyesight too!!

You are doing good on your goals! Keep up the good work, perhaps you can inspire the rest of us.

Jennifer said...

Good job on the sock goal! I say one night a week on the cross stitch so you don't burn out, because that's too cute not to finish when you're this close. As far as the other kits go, maybe you could add them to your stamping stuff on Craig's List!

Libby said...

I say finish this cross stitch then give the other kits away! More time for quilting, knitting and playing with puppies!