Thursday, March 15, 2012

Book Review Thursday - 3/15


Book Review Thursday is making a comeback!  I haven’t posted a book review in a few weeks because I really haven’t been reading that much and then I hardly posted at all while I was on vacation. I should be able to catch up quickly because I only have 3 books that I have recently finished and am only currently reading one.

A few weeks ago, I finished reading A New Song which is the 5th book in Jan Karon’s Mitford series about Father Tim. The entire series revolves around Father Tim and his adventures leading his flock of Episcopal congregants in a small mountain town in North Carolina. The books are Christian Fiction, but in my opinion, the religious talk is not over the top in the majority of the books.

In this novel, Father Tim has recently retired from his church in Mitford and agreed to serve as an interim minister in Whitecap Island which is about a 12 hour drive from Mitford. Tim and his wife, Cynthia, spend their time in Whitecap interacting with the locals who are just as interesting and amusing as the characters in Mitford.

This series is definitely a change from the normal mystery and murders books that I normally read, but sometimes it is nice to take a break from the norm. I enjoy the audio versions of the Mitford series and really enjoyed hearing the back stories of all the new characters. As with the previous novels in this series, there are challenges that Father Tim faces with the presence of God in his corner and he and Cynthia always come out on top. There are also a few humorous situations that they get themselves into that lighten the mood when it is needed. Overall, it was an enjoyable book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey Jill -- I've read this whole series - several more than once. They always make me smile...