Thursday, January 31, 2013

Book Review Thursday - 1/31

I am starting to sound like a broken record here! Still reading The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon and Fatal Winter by G. M. Malliet.

The Fiery Cross was on sale at some point on Audible so I downloaded that version and I got an email from Audible that said I had already purchased the copy through Amazon for my Kindle. Since Amazon and Audible have created a relationship with each other and both versions link up with software or the websites or something, when I listen to the Audible version and then switch to my Kindle version, the Kindle version will sync to the last part listened to on the iPod. How cool is that?

The other nice thing is that the Audible version is broken down into 7 parts and each parts has chapters. And these chapters correspond to the chapters in the book. So if I am reading the Kindle version, I am finishing a chapter before I put the book down so that I know that I can easily link up to the right spot on the iPod if I am not connected to a network when I switch to the iPod. I don't have an iPhone with a constant connection, but I am sure that it would be a lot easier for those of you who do.

The other nice thing that I figured out this week is that I can listen to the iPod at one and a half speed and this is about the rate that I actually read. It is actually just a tad slower. Two times regular speed is just a tad too fast for me to understand quickly enough everything that is going on. This means that I have been speeding through the parts a little quicker. I am almost done with part 5.

I have a lot of quilting to do this weekend and I am going to listen to The Fiery Cross while I quilt so I know that I will be finishing this book to have an actual review next week! It will be my second book finish of the year so I am already falling behind!

As long as there are quilts for the dogs, everything will work out!

101_1227

4 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

I have an audible account and have downloaded 2 books but have yet to listen to them. I didn't know you could slow down the iPod speed. Interesting. I'll have to look into that if the reading goes too fast. Right now I'm "reading" The Betrayal by Beverly Lewis in the car.

Jean(ie) said...

Audible and amazon link? How freaking awesome! I need to remember that.

Jennifer said...

I just heard this week that Amazon bought Audible and had started that feature - it sounds like a great one! Hoe you're getting lots of quilting and reading done :)

Anonymous said...

So far I've been able to get more audible books, than I can keep up, with from my library. I download them to my computer and listen from there, or add them to my iPod for listening to, away from home. That is really interesting that Audible and Kindles link up like that. I've often wondered if an Audible account was worth it, but for now I think I'll stick with the library and spend my money on fabric, LOL!