Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Book reviews - Christmas Shopaholic and The Oysterville Sewing Circle

Christmas ShopaholicChristmas Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Like visiting with an old friend!

I was very excited when I saw that the Christmas Shopaholic was being released this year because it has been too long since the last in the series. I was not disappointed in this addition to the series.

Becky is back with Luke, Minnie, Suze, et al. and the results are hilarious and only predictable in that you are full aware that she will get herself into a mess (or into messes) at some point in the story. The clan has returned to England from their stint in LA and have settled nicely into family life. Of course, Becky's mum has designated this Christmas as her first to host and (surprise, surprise!!) Becky goes way overboard.

I really enjoyed this story. Even though you know that she will get herself into situations, they are always unique in each novel and not the same shtick each novel. And in the end, Becky shows that her heart is always in the right place.


View all my reviews

The Oysterville Sewing CircleThe Oysterville Sewing Circle by Susan Wiggs
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not sure what I was expecting, but I really enjoyed this novel!

Caroline Shelby has gained custody of a friend's children and returned home to Washington state from NYC to lick her wounds and regroup. She comes to some realizations about the life her friend had been leading and learns information about friends whom she grew up with and decides to rebuild her life and help others in the process.

I believe that I had read the blurb in something from my library and added it to my read list. I'm glad I did! I am a quilter and thought it was a quilting book, but I've also watched enough Project Runway to know a thing or 2 about design and the process so I was able to understand a few things about the construction of garments explained in the book. The detail wasn't too much to confuse me - it was just enough to give an idea of a concept.

One thing that did bother me was the relationship between Caroline and her best friend from growing up, Sierra. When she got back to town, it was clear that things were tense between the women, but I never really found out if it was just because they grew apart or if there were things that were said in a fight. I know after college, people tend to grow apart so that wasn't too surprising, but the first encounter felt like there was something underlying that needed to be cleared up and then it was just gone. This was really the only thing that I felt didn't quite work.

Overall an enjoyable read and I will definitely be adding Wiggs to my author to watch for list.


View all my reviews


No comments: