Friday, August 10, 2007

Procrastinate much?

In April, a few of my sorority sisters and I held the First Annual St Jude's Quilt of Dreams Quilt Retreat. I spent a few months collecting addresses and mailing letters asking quilting, needlework, stamping companies, etc for donations for a raffle that we held the weekend of the retreat. I was so excited to come home from work because for weeks there was something on my doorstep everyday! We had 4 six foot tables full of raffle items. It was so exciting! And we had to split the drawings up throughout the weekend since there were so many things to draw for. For the entire weekend, we ended up raising over $1,200. We were proud of that amount because we almost weren't able to hold the weekend because of low attendance. Now, we have a bigger number to strive for next year.

Now, I had all of these addresses of companies that sent donations to me. And I had great aspirations of actually making hand stamped cards to send back saying the amount that we raised and how grateful we were for the donation. Yeah, that didn't happen. Sending thank you's has been on my list of 'to do's' for the longest time. While, since April. Tonight, I finally printed out the letter that I wrote up, signed them all and printed envelopes to mail to the donors! I couldn't believe how many addresses that I had. 25!! 25 wonderful companies that took the time to put a package together and send it to our fund raiser. (woops, just thought of another....)

I didn't think to mail requests for donations until mid-February and the Retreat was in mid-April (the weekend before Paducah, to be exact). I think that was a great turnout and I can't wait to see what happens this coming year when I actually send letters starting in January.

But I am so bad at getting things done in a timely manner....
Post A Comment! :: Send to a Friend!
Friday, August 10, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
What a great thing to do! Wow, $1200! You should be very proud to do that for such a great cause. Kristie
Permanent Link
Friday, August 10, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050
It's nice to hear that companies aren't all in it just for the profit! Rhoda
Permanent Link
Friday, August 10, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Cre8tiveQuilter
That is soooo wonderful!! A lot of these companies are very generous. I know for our project linus group we get donated batting by the roll even from a batting manufacturer.

No comments: