Thursday, December 15, 2011

Book Review Thursday - 12/15

 Since I got my Kindle I have acquired a few of Leslie Meier’s Lucy Stone series for free and I like to start at the beginning of a series so I found the first book in the series, Mistletoe Murder, at my local library. And since I had a Christmas theme book, I figured that this was the right time to read it.


Lucy Stone is a mother of 3 who works part time in the evenings at a mail order company in her small Maine town. Just before Christmas, she finds the company’s owner dead in his car in the parking lot while she is on her break. Although, the scene looks like a suicide, it is soon determined that Sam was murdered and Lucy sets out to finish her Christmas shopping and find the killer.

This was a cute story and a quick read and the characters are likeable. I am interested to see how the series holds up and this is definitely one that I would recommend.


I also recently finished the next book in Kate Wilhelm’s Barbara Holloway series, A Wrongful Death. Barbara left Eugene at the end of the last book after her case was completed. She needed time away from the law and friends and family to think about her life. While traveling and slowly making her way back to Eugene, she encounters a boy who is looking for help and he leads Barbara to a cabin where his mother has been beaten and is unconscious. Barbara goes for help and when she returns, the boy and his mother are gone. Barbara is then ordered to return to Eugene for questioning in the kidnapping of the boy where she is identified as a suspect and receives a steady stream of visitors demanding to know where the mother and boy are.

It was interesting to see Barbara react as a suspect and Frank jump in to her defense. Another good storyline with mostly believable parts and just enough action to keep the story moving forward. And I am just closer and closer to being caught up on this series… sigh…

No comments: