Thursday, July 12, 2012

Book Review Thursday - 7/12

I'm all caught up! Luckily, I finished Cold Hit 2 nights ago so that I could have 2 reviews. :)


In Victoria Laurie’s book Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye, Abby Cooper is a P.I. - a Psychic Intuitive. She is living a pretty stable life with her doxie Eggie while she runs a successful business doing readings for people in a local office with her friend Teresa in the suburbs of Detroit. But Teresa is moving on to Hollywood and leaving Abby behind. In her grief, Abby fails to pick up on signals from a recent reading she has done and the woman winds up murdered. And Abby feels responsible. So she begins an investigation.

This is the first book in the series and it was a really good book! Laurie does a good job explaining the ins and outs of the psychic readings and visions. The characters are well thought out and it was interesting to hear Abby’s thought processes when information comes to her psychically. I had gotten this book from Audible and listened to it, but I think that I might be able to read the actual books faster as they are pretty light reading. Well, aside from the murders.


In Cold Hit, Linda Fairstein’s third Alexandra Cooper novel, Alex, Chapman and Mercer are called when a body is pulled out of the river. Denise Caxton is half naked with a blow to the lower part of her skull. Deni was involved heavily in the art world and Alex, Chapman and Mercer seem to be fighting people to get information to help solve the case. And then more bodies show up along with someone who is hell bent on attacking Alex.

There were a lot of characters in this novel, but I didn’t have any trouble keeping up with the action and investigation. There are also quite a lot of secondary stories added in by way of junior attorneys in Alex’s office with new investigations and I don’t recall there being closure to any of those cases or investigations. That was a little odd, I thought. Maybe some of those will be a lead in for the next novel? Either way, I am ready to get the next one from the library and start reading!

1 comment:

thea said...

I have one of the Linda Farstein books to read but haven't gotten to it yet. This week, I hope.