Thursday, October 25, 2012

Book Review Thursday - 10/25

This week, I only got one book finished. Usually, I listen to an audiobook on my drive to work and back and then read a real book before bed. Since I was trying to get things done for retreat and then wasn't feeling well right before and after retreat, I haven't been reading at night. I'm hoping to change that within the next day. :)

What the Dead Know is a novel by Laura Lippman. A woman is involved in a car accident in Baltimore and she leaves the scene disoriented. When she is approached by a police officer, she confesses to have information on the 30 year old disappearance of 2 teenagers. She almost immediately confesses to being one of the missing girls, but refuses to give any additional information until she talks to a lawyer.

The novel then follows Dave and Miriam Bethany and their daughters Sonny and Heather. The novel jumps around in time from the day of the disappearance to the current time for the novel and several times in between. the novel also follows the woman, Dave, Miriam, the detective who was investigating the disappearance and the current day detective who is trying to get to the bottom of everything.

It was a little confusing to me the first few times the novel jumped around, but it wasn't too hard to stay with the story. And as usual, just when you think that you know what is happening, there's a twist. I think that the premise of the story was very promising, but there may have been too many characters telling their parts and things got a little muddled. It was still a good book.


1 comment:

thea said...

I found this book interesting because of the similarities between it and a kidnapping that happened near my house when I was young. The author actually talked about the real kidnapping/disappearance.