Monday, August 13, 2007

eHarmony - The saga continues

Apologies in advance - this is a long one, too!

Our story left off with Psycho, Angry Phone guy being a total dud.

With our next contestant, I decided that I was not going to spend so much time emailing and trying to get to know him before finding out that he was a dud. Things started really slow with him. He seemed to only check his email/eH website every 3-4 days. The chatting and messages through eH seemed to be a lot about what was going on in daily life. Things that we were planning for the weekend, how work was, etc.

This went on for a few weeks – a better part of June and half of July. Then, he asked through email if I would like to have dinner the following weekend. There was no talk of chatting on the phone or anything which sort of shocked me, but I thought what the heck and agreed. As the night got closer, I started freaking out a bit with nerves and ended up leaving a message for him on his voice mail that I couldn’t meet. It turned out that he had to work all day and evening that Sunday and would not have been able to meet either.

After that first night we were supposed to meet, he sent a very nice email taking the blame for not getting to meet for dinner. Something about taking things too fast and that he would call so we could talk during the week. At the time, it was an OK email, but I had said that I couldn’t make it because I had a problem at the house that I couldn’t leave. I don’t where he picked up on that and in retrospect, it just seemed weird.

We agreed in emails that he would call on a certain night when I didn’t have a quilt class because the classes are so much more important than a call from a boy. We talked for about 45 minutes that night. He had a nice voice and we laughed a fair amount during the call. I told him about CMG and the pups, so I know that I talked during the phone call. We also planned another dinner and, after talking on the phone, I was looking forward to meeting him.

Our date was on a Sunday and I spent Saturday with my friend, Amy, prepping. Since I had lost about 18 pounds at that time, we went shopping for some tops that would look nice with my capris that I was finally able to fit into. And we gave ourselves pedicures so that my toes would look nice for the sandals I was planning on wearing.

Sunday, we planned on meeting at 6 at Bravo’s, an Italian restaurant, in an open air mall-type location. We planned on eating dinner and then walking around the ‘street’ of the mall.

I wanted to be the first one there so he would have to find me and I wouldn’t look like a dork or something wandering around trying to find a person that I have only seen in a picture that could have been a very bad picture. (I seem to have problems finding people in crowds because I don’t always take their faces in. Even family members I struggle to find in large crowds unless I know what they are wearing and that is what I look for. So I can be staring at someone and not register that I know them until they approach me and say something. It’s strange.) So, I left earlier than I needed to and was talking to Amy on my cell for support. I actually talked to her until he came up to me.

Now, Bravo’s isn’t a 5 star (or 4 or whatever the highest number of stars you can get is) restaurant, but it’s not a McDonald’s or Applebee’s. It’s a nicer restaurant than those. I was wearing beige capris and a black spaghetti strap tank top and a flowy black tunic style shirt over it. I was dressed for the restaurant. He was wearing khaki shorts, gym shoes and socks, and an oversized white t-shirt under a knit polo shirt with an emblem of some type where a left pocket would be. Granted, he was clean, but the shirt looked old. So old that the collar wouldn’t lie correctly.

He walks up to me and I was struck by how blue his eyes were. I couldn’t stop looking at them for the first few minutes after we sat down. We go into the restaurant and get a table immediately. The waiter comes over and recognizes the guy and he seemed a bit embarrassed by it. It seems that this place is where he brings all of his dates from eH and he has had the waiter often enough that he is recognized. I tell him that this is the first time I have met anyone from eH. We order our drinks and I tell the guy that he has pretty eyes and he says, “Thanks. I remember my first job…” and tells me about how one of the boss’s daughters told him that, too. Not that I was fishing for compliments, but I figured that it would’ve been time for him to have said something to me, but he didn’t. He just started talking about work. He could’ve just told me that I have a nice smile which I hear a lot so I know it’s true. (My parents paid good money for the braces for this smile!)

So during the course of the meal, I am remembering the episodes of “Confessions of a MatchMaker” from A&E that I had watched (It’s hilarious by the way!), and I was trying to keep eye contact to show I was interested. I was trying to keep my good table manners and not spill on myself and remembering what topics to avoid on the first date. Apparently, no one ever taught him about the do’s and don’t’s of first dates. He talked almost non-stop. He asked what I was going to have, where I went to college and what my major was. I mentioned my sorority and he asked all of 2-3 questions about that. To me, that is a pretty amazing topic considering what we do for St Jude’s alone. And he only asked 2-3 questions. And it’s not like he waited for me to elaborate on anything, he just barreled right through what he wanted to talk about. Eventually, I was having a hard time concentrating on him and was people watching and he still didn’t pick up on that. At one point, he put his hand in the sauce on his plate and when he realized it, he licked it off. HE LICKED IT OFF!!!! I was shocked. I mean, I do that sort of thing at lunch or when I am out to dinner with friends – not when I am trying to make a good impression!

We got done eating, he went to the restroom and I sent Amy a text message that he wouldn’t shut up long enough for me to get a word in edgewise. Now, you would think that while in the restroom and after eating Italian that he would check his teeth, right? Wrong!! He had bits of bread or pasta in a few. So we walk up and down the street once and then sit at a fountain and watch the sun go down. He still kept talking. People were walking around and he was lifting his arm in front of my face and pointing at people to make comments to me about them. I was so embarrassed because they could see him doing that!

I sat for as long as I could (about an hour) before I figured that I had given it enough of a chance to turn around and said that I needed to get home. He walked me to my car and said that he had a good time and that we would talk this week. Actually, he said something about calling and then said, ‘no, email.’ Amy wondered why he wanted to regress back to email instead of still talking on the phone like we had before the date. I had no idea. I just wanted to get in my car and leave so I didn’t question it.

The next day, I get an email from him about how he had such a great time and it was nice to meet me. And he hoped that he only talked one of my ears off, but he feels that it is important for the person to get to know who he is. Apparently, he does care to get to know ‘the person.’ And he wanted to meet the next weekend. I gave it a few days to see if I felt any differently and I couldn’t for the life of me see myself going out with him again. I ended up being talked into it – a couple of people said maybe he was just nervous and to give him another chance. So I sent an email and said sure we can meet, I had a good time, too, and that yeah he did talk a little excessively. And I put a smiley after that.

I think that I sent that email on a Thursday and said that I could only meet on Sunday for the next weekend. Saturday, I got an email from him that he was in Texas for work so he wouldn’t be able to meet. I didn’t respond to his email because I didn’t feel like there was much that I could say.

That was the last that I heard from Sir Talks-A-Lot.
Post A Comment! :: Send to a Friend!
Monday, August 13, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Cre8tiveQuilter
Yikes! YOu gave him more than a fair shot!! I'm actually more interested now in your soriority! I guess I assummed incorrectly that the St. Jude stuff is a project that the Alumni in the area took on; not something the entire soriority does.
Permanent Link
Monday, August 13, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by MoneikQuilts
It's always hard to listen when you don't get a word in edgewise. My boyfriend is the other extreme. I had to ask a ton of questions to get him to talk about himself. Every person is different I guess. Tell us more about the sorority.
Permanent Link
Monday, August 13, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by maryann64
Evening: Hope you had a good day. Listen to your gut feelings when you meet a man that is compatible you will know - you won't have any doubts. Had to lol at your comment on my blog when I realize that only one of us can spell and it's not be. Thank God for spell check. Enjoy your Quilt Guild tonite. Hugs Mary Ann.
Permanent Link
Monday, August 13, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by SewAndSnip
OMG this story is funnier than the last one. Don't give up if this is what you really want. Keep those stories coming. Cindy
Permanent Link
Monday, August 13, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
Your blog is better than a Soap Opera! Keep it coming. Kristie
Permanent Link
Monday, August 13, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Trina
Kristie is right, this is better than a soap!! Keep em coming, I enjoy reading them!!

No comments: