Thursday, July 7, 2011

Book Review Thursday - 7/7

Only one book finished this week, but I am making good progress on the next two.

Friday, I finished The Midnight Show Murders by Al Roker and Dick Lochte. The audio version is read by Al Roker and he has such a nice voice to listen to. It is definitely a bonus for the book.

Chef Billy Blessing is sent to Los Angeles to serve as the guest announcer for the new late night comedy show that his TV network is attempting. The show will be hosted by Irishman Des O'Day, but on the show's premiere, a bomb goes off on the set and O'Day is killed.

This is the second book in the series and I reviewed the first one here, after listening to it on the drive home from Florida. The only real complaint that I had about the first book was repeated in this one - too many characters introduced way too fast. I had trouble keeping everyone straight until the story started moving along because the character introductions were almost like rapidly fired gun shots.

Roker adds a lot to the story with his behind the scenes knowledge of news shows and how things flow. There are also a lot of tongue in cheek references to current pop culture, the Today Show and networks.

Once the character introductions are over, the book settles into a good flow of action and it's a pretty good story. I will warn you that there is some bad language used. It doesn't bother me at all, but on the Amazon reviews there were quite a few people upset by it.

Right now, I am reading the next book in the Tess Monaghan and the newest Marie Bostwick Cobbled Court Quilt novel. I'm loving the Bostwick book and torn between wanting to finish it RIGHTNOW and wanting to take my time to savor the story! What are you reading?

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks for your book reviews; I read them (reviews) everytime :0)